More of an on-the-road year than a release-lots-of-new-stuff year, but here’s the stuff I did help create this year, in case anyone is interested and missed any of it.
1. “What’s Good, Man?” In Search of Healthy Masculinity
I resisted the siren song of starting a podcast for a really long time. But tony the scribe had some great ideas, and the overall issue of toxic masculinity is relevant to literally every crisis on earth right now. There’s a sense of urgency here, mixed with an impulse to really take some time to explore how this dominant/dominating narrative of manhood as power, control, and authority is so effective and so insidious. We’re only four episodes into the show (with a fifth coming on 1/1/20), and already have SO MANY MORE planned for the next season. Thanks so much to everyone who’s already tuned in. Related: a piece I wrote back in January called “How much profit is in your pain? On masculinity and outrage.”
2. “The Art of Taking the L” Zine and Video
Related to the podcast, this is a poem (and accompanying zine) that I’ve been working on for a while. Finally got a draft ready to share, and it’s available now both as a video (via Button Poetry) and as part of a BUNDLE of zines that are some of my favorite projects I’ve worked on.
3. Other New Videos
This was the first year in like a decade without any new music from me. But there has been some other cool stuff, including “The Art of Taking the L” and these other new videos:
An a capella performance of my two verses from “Matches” by Sifu Hotman.
“10 Excerpts From New York Times Op-Eds in Fictional Realities,” a poem subtitled “what happens when you understand conflict, but don’t understand power.”
New footage/performance of an older poem of mine, “A Pragmatist’s Guide to Faith,” about history and happenstance and struggle.
Finally, this UK producer (Fred again..) sampled a snippet of one of my poems for this beautiful song and video. It’s also available on Spotify and elsewhere:
4. Audio Book
My whole book is available now as audio, recorded by me (and engineered by longtime collaborator Big Cats)!
5. Odds and Ends
Some other stuff:
- Featured in the City Pages’ “People” Issue here.
- An in-depth feature on the “What’s Good, Man?” podcast via MN Monthly here.
- A song spotlight + some favorite links on economic inequality here.
- Shared a bunch of writing prompts for National Poetry Month here.
- Shared a playlist of poems I’ve found useful doing social justice education work here.
- Lots more work with TruArtSpeaks and MPD150; very cool stuff on the horizon in 2020.
- Finally, a little Instagram collage here; chair photo is by Emeline O’Hara; sketch is by Tori Hong. Here’s my IG link.
Lots planned for 2020. Lots more will be happening beyond those plans. Let’s be ready.